336% spurt in child rape cases between 2001 and 2011
Himanshi Dhawan, TNN | Apr 21, 2013,
The report, “India’s Hell Holes: Child Sexual Assault in Juvenile Justice Homes”, which has been submitted to the UN Special Rapporteur on Violence against Women, says that many of the cases take place in juvenile homes.
“It will not be an understatement to state that juvenile justice homes, established to provide care and protection as well as reintegration, rehabilitation and restoration of the juveniles in conflict with law and children in need of care and protection, have become India’s hell holes where inmates are subjected to sexual assault and exploitation, torture and ill-treatment apart from being forced to live in inhuman conditions. The girls remain the most vulnerable. It matters little whether the juvenile justice homes are situated in Delhi or in mofussil towns,” said Suhas Chakma, director, ACHR.
The 56-page report also highlights 39 cases of systematic and often repeated sexual assault on children in juvenile justice homes. Out of the 39 cases, 11 were reported from government-run juvenile justice homes, while in one case a CWC member was accused of sexual harassment during counselling sessions. The remaining 27 cases were reported from private or NGO-run juvenile justice homes.
- #India- ‘Rape victim’, 10, threatened with stoning unless she withdraws claim #Vaw #WTFnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Delhi gangrape repeated, Bus driver rapes minor in chartered bus #Vaw #WTFnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- India’s shame: mother demanding justice for dead daughter beaten #Vaw (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- Cop to woman: Who will rape you at your age? #Vaw #WTFnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India Marital rape: Parliamentary panel supports government’s decision #Vaw #WTFnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #Chattisgarh policeman arrested for allegedly trying to marry minor girl in UP #Vaw #WTFnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)