,Posted on Nov 05, 2012 at 12:22pm IST
A newspaper columnist and social worker then, Sharmila, went on fast on November 5 that year demanding repeal of AFSPA. She was arrested a day later and charged with attempt to commit suicide. Since then she has been produced in court from time to time, rearrested and produced again in court.
She is force fed at a government hospital at Porompat where the ward she is in has been converted into a jail. Sharmila has received several global awards and several prominent personalities from different parts of the country have visited her in support of her demands.
Her brother and spokesman Irom Singhajit said social organisations including Just Peace Foundation would hold candlelight demonstrations in Imphal while public discussions would be held during the day. Official sources said security and police forces would be deployed in various parts of the city as a precautionary measure.
- #India- #Irom Sharmila refuses award (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #Invitation -Repeal AFSPA Save Democracy – #Irom Sharmila (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- #Irom Sharmila : An Inspiration For Students (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- Long Live The Iron Lady Of Manipur- #Irom Sharmila (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Irom Sharmila Refuses to Accept Award Until the Government Repeals AFSPA (tvaraj.wordpress.com)