Steubenville High School rape: Two teen football players found guilty #Vaw


Associated Press | Updated: March 17, 2013

Steubenville High School rape: Two teen football players found guilty

Steubenville High School students Ma’Lik Richmond and Trent Mays (photo below)

Steubenville, OhioTwo members of a high school football team were found guilty Sunday of raping a drunken 16-year-old girl in a case that bitterly divided the Ohio city and led to accusations of a cover-up to protect the community’s athletes.Steubenville High School students Trent Mays and Ma’Lik Richmond face a possible sentence of detention in juvenile jail until they turn 21, capping a case that came to light via a barrage of morning-after text messages, social media posts and online photos and video that drew global attention.

Both teenagers broke down in tears after the verdict was read. As Richmond’s lawyer addressed the judge, he paused for a moment to comfort his client, whose sobs could be heard throughout the courtroom.

Mays, 17, and Richmond, 16, were charged with digitally penetrating the West Virginia girl, first in the back seat of a moving car after an alcohol-fueled party on Aug. 11, and then in the basement of a house. Mays was also found guilty on a charge of illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material.

The case roiled the community amid allegations that more students should have been charged and led to questions about the influence of the local football team, a source of a pride in a community of 18,000 that suffered massive job losses with the collapse of the steel industry.

Their arms linked, protesters demanding that the high school athletes be held responsible stood outside the courthouse awaiting the verdict, some of them wearing masks.

The trial opened last week as a contest between prosecutors determined to show the girl was so drunk she couldn’t have been a willing participant that night, and defense attorneys soliciting testimony from witnesses that would indicate that the girl, though drunk, knew what she was doing.

The teenage girl testified Saturday that she could not recall what happened the night of the attack but remembered waking up naked in a strange house after drinking at a party. The girl said she recalled drinking, leaving the party holding hands with Mays and throwing up later. When she woke up, she said she discovered her phone, earrings, shoes, and underwear were missing, she testified.

“It was really scary,” she said. “I honestly did not know what to think because I could not remember anything.”
Steubenville_Trent Mays_295.jpg
The girl said she believed she was assaulted when she later read text messages among friends and saw a photo of herself taken that night, along with a video that made fun of her and the alleged attack. She said she suspected she had been drugged because she couldn’t explain being as intoxicated as defense witnesses have said she was.

“They treated her like a toy,” said special prosecutor Marianne Hemmeter.

Evidence introduced at the trial included graphic text messages sent by numerous students after the night of the party, including by the accuser, containing provocative descriptions of sex acts and obscene language. Lawyers noted during the trial how texts have seemed to replace talking on the phone for contemporary teens. A computer forensic expert called by the state documented tens of thousands of texts found on 17 phones seized during the investigation.

The girl herself recalled being in a car later with Mays and Richmond and asking them what happened.

“They kept telling me I was a hassle and they took care of me,” she testified. “I thought I could trust him (Mays) until I saw the pictures and video.”

In questioning her account, defense attorneys went after her character and credibility. Two former friends of the girl testified that the accuser had a history of drinking heavily and was known to lie.

“The reality is, she drank, she has a reputation for telling lies,” said lawyer Walter Madison, representing Richmond.

The two girls testified they were angry at the accuser because she was drinking heavily at the party and rolling around on the floor. They said they tried unsuccessfully to get her to stop drinking.

The accuser said that she does not remember being photographed as she was carried by Mays and Richmond, an image that stirred up outrage, first locally, then globally, as it spread online. Others have testified the photo was a joke and the girl was conscious when it was taken.

The photograph led to allegations that three other boys, two of them members of Steubenville High’s celebrated Big Red football team, saw something happening that night and didn’t try to stop it but instead recorded it.

The three boys weren’t charged, fueling months of online accusations of a cover-up to protect the team, which law enforcement authorities have vehemently denied.

Instead, the teens were granted immunity to testify, and their accounts helped incriminate the defendants. They said the girl was so drunk she didn’t seem to know what was happening to her and confirmed she was digitally penetrated in a car and later on a basement floor.

Ohio’s attorney general planned to announce later Sunday whether additional charges will be brought in the case, including against the three other boys.

Mays and Richmond were determined to be delinquent, the juvenile equivalent of guilty, Judge Thomas Lipps ruled in the juvenile court trial without a jury.

The Associated Press normally doesn’t identify minors charged in juvenile court, but Mays and Richmond have been widely identified in news coverage, and their names have been used in open court. The AP also does not generally identify people who say they were victims of sex crimes.

 

Mumbai – Bouncer who protested rape bid murdered #WTFnews


By, TNN | Mar 17, 2013,

Bouncer who protested rape bid murdered
The Mahatma Phule police, on the basis of Abdul’s dying declaration, registered a murder case against prime accused Sadiq Shaikh (18), besides Shamsuddin Shaikh (21), Jameer Kadar Shaikh, Sameer Sayyed, Subhash Malbari and Sumit Prajapati.
MUMBAI: Haji Abdul Gaffar Shaikh, a 33-year-old bouncer, was brutally attacked by six men late on Friday night in Kalyan (West) for protesting against a teenager’s bid to rape an 11-year-old girl in the neighbourhood last week. The father of two young children, Abdul succumbed to his injuries early on Saturday.

The Mahatma Phule police, on the basis of Abdul’s dying declaration, registered a murder case against prime accused Sadiq Shaikh (18), besides Shamsuddin Shaikh (21), Jameer Kadar Shaikh, Sameer Sayyed, Subhash Malbari and Sumit Prajapati. Shamsuddin has been arrested, the others are absconding.

The family of a minor girl, who was saved by neighbours when Sadiq was allegedly dragging her to the terrace with the intention of raping her on March 4, has also given its statement to the police. The incident seems to have set off the revenge saga. Hearing the girl’s screams, neighbours had rescued her and slapped Sadiq. The victim’s family did not file any police complaint at the time to avoid attention. Instead, a meeting of community members was called. Abdul, who lived in the next building, was incensed and slapped Sadiq at the meeting.

Abdul’s mother, who lost her husband seven years ago, still can’t believe her son was killed for raising his voice against a man who tried to rape a minor. “When my son learnt of Sadiq’s behaviour, he got very angry as he also had a young daughter. It was the reason why he went to the meeting and slapped the accused, warning him not to repeat the incident,” said a tearful Shahnaj, adding, “We want maximum punishment for them.”

Abdul told police in his dying declaration that he was returning home on his motorcycle on Friday from work at around 11.15pm, when he realized a vehicle was following him. As he slowed down at a speed-breaker near Kala Talao, some men came out of the car and attacked him with swords and choppers. Perhaps because he was a powerful man, the attackers first hacked four of his fingers to ensure he couldn’t fight back and then stabbed him seven times. Some people who later saw him lying in a pool of blood informed his relatives. He was taken to the private Shreedevi Hospital and later shifted to AIMS Hospital in Dombivli, where he died of his injuries at 1am on Saturday. “We have formed two teams to nab the accused,” said inspector Manoj Nerlekar. A crime branch team has also joined the hunt.

Abdul held two jobs to support his mother, six-year-old daughter and five-year-old son. His younger sister Rehana too, said the men deserved maximum punishment. “They should be hanged. If released, they will repeat their crimes,” she said. His elder sister Zarina said, “After my father’s death, he took the family’s responsibility and got all sisters married.”

Abdul’s wife separated from him two years back.

Past Attacks

December 3, 2012: Santosh Vichivara (19), was stabbed to death by four youngsters, including three minors, outside the gate of his housing complex in Dombivli for protesting against the lewd comments they were passing at a girl frm the same complex

October 20, 2011: Keenan Santos (24) and Reuben Fernandez (29) were brutally beaten and stabbed by a group of men near a paan shop in Amboli, Andheri (W), when they protested against those men harassing their women friends. They succumbed to their injuries

 

Archives

Kractivism-Gonaimate Videos

Protest to Arrest

Faking Democracy- Free Irom Sharmila Now

Faking Democracy- Repression Anti- Nuke activists

JAPA- MUSICAL ACTIVISM

Kamayaninumerouno – Youtube Channel

UID-UNIQUE ?

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 6,227 other followers

Top Rated

Blog Stats

  • 1,849,734 hits

Archives

November 2021
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
%d bloggers like this: