Mobile Phone of RSS Leader used to trigger Bangalore blast


Thursday, 9 May 2013
May 09:

The investigation into the April 17 bomb blast near the BJP office in Bangalore has now taken a new turn with police finding that a stole SIM card and phone of a prominent RSS leader was used to trigger the blast which left 11 policemen and five civilians wounded. The police sources have told The New Indian Express that the mobile phone of the RSS leader was stolen just a day before the blast.

“We did a technical investigation of what triggered the improvised explosive device (IED) that injured 11 policemen and five civilians. Through a mobile tower near the bomb blast area we traced a number, which was registered in the name of a prominent RSS leader from Karnataka. We found out that the cellphone was stolen from him just a day before the blast,’’ the English daily has quoted a top police source as saying.

The probe team has collected all relevant material, including CCTV footage of the person who parked the motorbike prior to the blast. The footage is said to have showed that the suspect tried to park it in front of the BJP office gate twice, but security personnel stopped him. “The footage clearly shows him parking the mobike, with the front facing the road. His face is not clear in any of the shots as he is wearing a helmet,’’ the source said.

So far, nine suspects – all Muslims — have been arrested in the case from different parts of Tamil Nadu and some of them from jail. However, the latest finding of the police about the SIM card may point to another culprit group. It is most possible the phone of RSS leader was stole by people around him. And as the police said it was stolen just a day before the blast, then it is most likely that the culprits planned and executed the act while being in Bangalore itself.

Meanwhile, the Bangalore Police on Tuesday produced blast suspects Rehamathulla (29), Asgar Ali (29), Hakeem (31) and Tenkasi Suleman (24), arrested from Salem jail, and Suleman (31), who was arrested in Coimbatore, before the ACCMM I court. The five were remanded in police custody till May 18, along with Kichan Buhari and Basheer, the other suspects.

 

#India- After 6 months in jail as ‘terror suspect’, a journalist returns


Johnson T A : Bangalore, Wed Feb 27 2013, IE
DF

About six months ago, when he appeared in court for the first time after being named by the Bangalore Police in an alleged Lashkar-e-Toiba plot to target local right-wing media personalities, Muthi ur Rehman Siddiqui, 26, a reporter and sub-editor with the Deccan Herald newspaper here, still had the glint of youthful exuberance in his eyes.

But now, the first thing that comes to mind on seeing Siddiqui after his release from prison on Monday, is the disappearance of that enthusiasm from his face. Gone is the glint in his eyes, and in its place is a serious, sad man.

“I always thought the police, media and society at large do not treat terror suspects fairly. That thinking has been reinforced by my experience,” said Siddiqui on Tuesday.

Among 15 youths arrested by the Bangalore Police last August-September from Bangalore, Hubli, Nanded and Hyderabad in an alleged LeT-linked terror plot — that has now been linked to the February 21 twin blasts in Hyderabad — Siddiqui was released on Monday after the NIA, which took over the case, reported no “prosecutable evidence” against him and co-accused Yusuf Nalband, 24.

As the NIA did not name Siddiqui and Nalband, a commerce graduate working in a private firm, in its chargesheet filed on February 20, a special court ordered their release on February 23.

“I feel really relieved that I have been able to come out clean. It is a huge victory for me and the community at large, because this is not one individual’s fight,” said Siddiqui. “People called me the mastermind of the group. If I am the mastermind, then my friends who have been arrested must also be released,” he said.

The arrests were made on the basis of intelligence inputs of contacts between some of the youths and LeT-linked persons in Saudi Arabia. But there was no clear case against Siddiqui. It was alleged that he was providing radical literature and his office computer was seized.

One of five children of a small-time perfume merchant from Hubli, Siddiqui financed his own education, and did not allow the death of his father in 2006 to deter him from obtaining a post-graduate degree in mass communication and pursuing his dream of a career in journalism.

“When I was doing my PG diploma in mass communication, I chose the topic, ‘Media coverage of terrorism suspects’, for my thesis. Unfortunately, my supervisor struck down the topic, saying I may get into trouble. But the subject has always been on my mind. And I saw in prison that people have been stuck there for years, in some cases without a trial,” he said, referring to the continued incarceration of 32 youths arrested from Hubli in 2007.

“I consider myself very fortunate that I have been released after six months. Trial takes about seven to eight years. When you are declared innocent after seven or eight years, it is like a slap on your face. My sympathies were always with terror suspects, and that feeling has become stronger now,” said Siddiqui.

During his time in prison, Siddiqui memorised a significant part of the Quran. “That is one of the positive things this experience has given me,” he said. Siddiqui said he also tried to engage himself constructively by teaching two of his co-accused who are illiterate (Mohammed Sadiq Laskhar, 28 and Mahaboob Bagalkot, 26).

“Initially I was very optimistic that I would get out soon because they had promised me. We waited and waited, but it did not happen,” he said. As time lapsed, he feared that the police may fabricate evidence against him. With charges being brought under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act 1967, the time for incarceration prior to the chargesheet was extended to 180 days.

“The experience has really changed me as a person. When you are kept in confinement, it is very depressing. Now I have a different perspective of the world,” he said.

“I had so much time because there isn’t any responsibility or any work. But it is an advantage in the sense that I had ample time to introspect. I could do some serious introspection about my life, career and the shortcomings in me as a person. I also read a lot,” said Siddiqui.

He has no immediate plans to return to journalism, he wants to spend some time with his family. “I am yet to adjust to this changed environment. I have just returned from an entirely different world,” he said.

Siddiqui hoped that the others accused in the case would also be released soon. “They have resigned themselves to remaining in prison for a while. But the thought is still there each morning, when you wake up, about being free once again,” he said.

Pointing out that DRDO scientist Ajaz Ahmed Mirza, 25, who is also among the arrested, has not been named in the NIA chargesheet, Siddiqui said he expected him to be freed soon.

– See more at: http://www.indianexpress.com/news/after-6-months-in-jail-as–terror-suspect–a-journalist-returns/1080262/0#sthash.Z71lgbX1.dpuf

Civil Society begins fast demanding release of TV journalist


 

By Newzfirst Correspondent1/5/13

 

Bangalore – Journalists, rights activists and members of civil society organizations Saturday began a three-day fast under the aegis of ‘The Forum Against Illegal Arrest of Journalists’ demanding immediate release of Naveen Soorinje, the TV journalist who reported the infamous home-stay attack at Mangalore in July this year.

The arrest of Naveen Soorinje is a blatant violation of press freedom. Instead of making him a witness, the Police have labled him as a perpetrator. The Government should drop all the charges against Soorinje and release him immediately, HR Ranganath, senior journalist and chief of Public TV told media-persons.

“The charges, which are generally framed against criminals, have been framed against a journalist, who conscientiously reported an outrage against partying youths.” he said.

Soorinje has been of booked under different sections of Indian Penal Code like 143 (unlawful assembly), 147 (rioting), 148 (Rioting, armed with deadly weapon), 354 (Assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty, 447 (criminal trespass) and 395 (dacoity) and presently languishes in Mangalore prison.

Another senior journalist Laxman Hoogar said that the arrest of Soorinje is an effort by the police to curtail the freedom of press and to warn the journalists who go against the wish and whims of the Police.

Is covering violence or crime, a crime? he asked.

According to B. T. Venkatesh, a noted Advocate and rights’ defender, “If Soorinje had not covered the incident and reported it, the nation could never come to know about this heinous culture prevailing in our society”.

The listing of Soorinje as an accused and not as a witness is absolutely unjust to both the witness and the victims. And it will help criminals to getaway, he added.

The Karnataka Police had arrested Soorinje, a TV journalist working with Kasturi Newz24, on 7 November and accused him of committing various crimes along with the attackers who belonged to right-wing extremist groups.

The bail application moved by Soorinje has been rejected by both the lower court and the High Court.

Outraged over his arrest, journalists’ organizations, senior journalists as well as civil society groups have been protesting across the state and demanding that the government should drop its proceedings against him.

Despite several appeals by delegations of journalists to the Governor and the Chief Minister, no action has been taken by the Government in this regard. The issue was also taken up with the Home Minister on the floor of the State legislative assembly during the recently concluded session at Belgaum.

 

Bangalore Police arrest journalist, 10 others for suspected terror links


 

PTI, Aug 30/8/2012

In a major operation, Bangalore Police have arrested 11 persons with suspected links to terror outfits Lashkar-e-Taiba and HuJI and claimed to have foiled their plot to target MPs, MLAs and mediapersons in Karnataka.

A foreign made 7.65 mm pistol, seven rounds of ammunition and other gadgets were seized from the arrested, City Police Commissioner Jyotiprakash Mirji told reporters along with DGP L.R. Pachau.

The arrested included a journalist of an English daily, police sources said.

Mr. Mirji said all the arrests were made by CCB police on Wednesday in Hubli in northern Karnataka and Bangalore after gathering intelligence inputs for several days.

He denied reports about involvement of Uttar Pradesh police in the operation.

“It was a meticolously planned operation by CCB. The arrested had links with banned outfits like LeT and HUJI,” Mr. Mirji said but refused to share further details remarking “in the interest of the security, case and investigations no more details can be shared at this stage“.

The arrested, all aged below 30, planned to target MPs, MLAs and prominent journalists, he said.

He said cases under IPC sections 120 B (criminal conspiracy), 153A (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion), 307 (attempt to murder), 379 (theft) and under Unlawful Activities Prevention Act and Arms Act have been registered against the arrested.

Initial reports had said the four suspected Indian Mujahideen activists involved in the 2010 Chinnaswamy stadium blast case were picked up by police.

 

New twist to Manipuri Student’s murder in Bangalore #IPL #Justice


Monika Khangembam

 

IMPHAL,  Free Press April 24: A new twist in the Loitam Richard killing case popped up today, with the father of the first year engineering student claiming that Richard’s dead body was shifted to the Hospital mortuary at 1:30am of April 18 which conflicts with (L) Richard’s hostel warden’s report to the police.

In his FIR, the hostel warden had said that he was informed that Richard was bleeding from his nose at 1:30pm of April 18, after which he called the college doctor who confirmed his death.

Richard Loitam of Uripok Yambem Leikai, an Architecture Engineering first year student of the Acharya NRV School of Architecture, Bangalore was reportedly beaten to death on April 18 night in his hostel.

Speaking at a press conference at his Uripok Yambem Leikai residence today Dr L Rajesh outlined his findings in his recent trip to Bangalore and to the institute.

Dr Rajesh urged the state government to give adequate pressure to the Karnataka government for solving the case and to book the culprits.

While negating the various news reports regarding the cause of his son’s death Loitam Rajesh said, his son is an avid sports lover while adding that there is no way he could have changed the TV channel while everyone was watching an IPL match.

Quite contrary to the warden’s FIR which said, “As per his (Richard) room-mates I (warden) came to know that Richard met with an accident on April 16, 2012, he got his treatment in Sapthagiri Hospital on April 16”, Rajesh claimed that his son had met with an accident along with a friend while driving a Pleasure moped and had recieved minor injuries on April 15. He along with his friend had received first aid from Sapthagiri Hospital on April 15, he added.

He further said his wife had received a call on April 16 morning from his son, telling her that he had lost his mobile and that he would like to buy a mobile.

His wife sent the money the same day. Richard didn’t call them the next day on April 17. Anxious since he had just lost his mobile, he contacted a family friend Nazim whose nephew also studied in the same college as Richard late in the evening at around 9 pm.

The nephew told Rajesh that he was not in the hostel, but informed that Richard was in the hostel as he was having an intern paper the next day. Thinking that he might be busy with his preparation, they felt satisfied, however the next day at around 3:30pm on April 18, the college doctor called the family up and informed about Richard’s death, he said.

The family immediately flew into Bangalore.

On reaching the college, the college authorities claimed ‘accident’ as the possible cause of death. However, when they enquired of some students about the death it was found that one Syed Afjal Ali had beaten Richard on April 17. They also found bloodstains on the door knob of Richard’s hostel room and windowsill, which points to a quarrel, he further told media persons.

They found Richard’s body in a decomposed state at the morgue raising new questions on the time of his death, he stated.

The students further told the family members that, Syed had assaulted Richard while he was playfully quarrelling with one of his seniors.

Further alleging lapses on the part of the college authorities for Richard’s death, the aggrieved father said his family was not informed by the college authorities but by the college doctor which is absurd.

He further expressed his surprise over the Karnataka police filing a simple FIR and stuck up in procedural matters like 174 CrPC.

He however said that he had full faith in the Karnataka administration and police and believe that the state will conduct the investigation properly.

Neighbours demand thorough investigation
Local meira paibis and club members of Uripok Yambem Leikai came out today in strong protest against the alleged killing of Loitam Richard.

Demanding proper investigation of the death, the protestors held a sit in protest at the locality, holding placards that read ‘Don’t kill Richard Loitam twice’, ‘Investigate properly the killing of Richard Loitam’, ‘Who killed Richard Loitam’, ‘We demand fair investigation from Bangalore Police’, ‘Protect Manipuri students outside Manipur’ and ‘Give death penalty to the killer’ etc.

Speaking to media persons one of the protestors urged the Karnataka police to start investigations on the case at the earliest and further expressed hope that the Karnataka police will conduct the investigation in an unbiased and transparent manner.

The protestors further demanded action against the college, as laxity on their part had resulted in the death, said the protestors.

Meanwhile, the protestors further said that the government should take up action to safeguard all the people from the state who are staying outside the state.

Archives

Kractivism-Gonaimate Videos

Protest to Arrest

Faking Democracy- Free Irom Sharmila Now

Faking Democracy- Repression Anti- Nuke activists

JAPA- MUSICAL ACTIVISM

Kamayaninumerouno – Youtube Channel

UID-UNIQUE ?

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 6,232 other followers

Top Rated

Blog Stats

  • 1,792,368 hits

Archives

July 2020
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
%d bloggers like this: