#Karnataka -‘Girl students often misuse the burkha’- #WTFnews #moralpolicing


STAFF REPORTER, The Hindu

IN PROTEST: (From left) Dalit Christian Federation chairperson Rev. D. Manohar Chandra Prasad, Karnataka United Christian Forum functionary Felix Noronha and Karnataka Regional Commission for Education secretary Sr. M. Genevieve at Friday’s press conference in Bangalore. Photo: K. Gopinathan
The HinduIN PROTEST: (From left) Dalit Christian Federation chairperson Rev. D. Manohar Chandra Prasad, Karnataka United Christian Forum functionary Felix Noronha and Karnataka Regional Commission for Education secretary Sr. M. Genevieve at Friday’s press conference in Bangalore. Photo: K. Gopinathan

‘Ban in Christian institutions applicable only on campuses’

Defending the ban imposed by several missionary-run educational institutions in Karnataka on wearing the burkha on campus, Sr. M. Genevieve, secretary of the Karnataka Regional Commission for Education (KRCE), has said that the garment is “often misused by girl students”.

“They use it for copying in exams,” Sr. Genevieve said, while gesturing with her hands that girl students hide scraps of paper in the folds of the Islamic outfit.

She was responding to a question about the burkha ban at a press conference here on Friday called to announce a daylong seminar on “combating saffronisation of education and suppression of subaltern voices”. The seminar, scheduled for Saturday, is being organised by the KRCE, which manages 105 Catholic societies and 1,200 Catholic educational institutions.

‘OTHER RELIGIONS TOO’

Sr. Genevieve claimed that not just Muslims, but girls of other religions too have started wearing the burkha as a sort of cover for “immoral activities”. “Other girls have also started wearing [the burkha] to go out with their boyfriends,” she said.

When it was pointed out that saffron groups too have tried to impose a ban on the garment, particularly in the coastal districts of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi, she said that the ban in Christian missionary institutions was applicable only on the campus.

“In a girls’ college like Mount Carmel College, what is the need to wear the burkha? There are hardly one or two men there,” said Sr. Genevieve, a former principal of the girls’ college.

HUGE CONTROVERSY

The banning of the burkha at the St. Aloysius College in Mangalore had created a huge controversy in April last year after it was reported widely in the print and electronic media.

The case of commerce student Aysha Ashmin made national headlines in August 2009 after the Sri Venkataramana Swamy Government-aided Degree College in Bantwal, Dakshina Kannada, banned her from wearing the burkha under pressure from activists of the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP).

Mangalore attackers behaved like animals: victim #Moralpolicing #VAW


 

Mangalore Bureau, The Hindu

SThe last building inside this gate is Morning Mist, a homestay at Padil. Photo: R.Eswarraj
The last building inside this gate is Morning Mist, a homestay at Padil. Photo: R.Eswarraj

Hindu Jagaran Vedike responsible, says ADGP Bipin Gopalakrishna

“I saw the men coming and jumped from the balcony, but they chased me and touched me in [inappropriate] places and dragged me back into the room,” Namitha (name changed) said, as she narrated her ordeal at the Morning Mist Homestay (a house rented out for parties) at Padil on the outskirts of the city on Saturday evening.

She told The Hindu that the attackers behaved like “animals”. When another girl asked the men why they were being targeted, the assaulters reportedly abused her and “one of them slapped me”.

The attackers, said a victim, removed the shirt of a man who was made to sit on a bed along with other women, apparently to project them in a poor light. Women said the attackers took away some of their valuables.

Defended

The Hindu Jagaran Vedike’s State convener Jagadish Karanth said at a press conference that his organisation was not behind the attack, nevertheless, defended it. Admitting that city coordinator of the vedike Subhash Padil was in the raiding party, he said this was the reaction by society against “immoral activities”.

He threatened that a ‘Janandolan’ (mass campaign) against activities opposed to Hindutva traditions would be launched. To begin with some pubs, spas, resorts, home stays and discotheques would be targeted as they “harboured prostitution and drugs”.

Bipin Gopalakrishna, ADGP Law and Order, said the vedike was responsible for the attack and that the eight persons arrested were its members. Amongst them was Mr. Padil.

The police booked cases under Section 18 1(a)(b) of unlawful activities prevention act, 1967 and IPC Sections for unlawful assembly, rioting, molestation, assault and dacoity against 27 persons, including the reporter and cameraman who were present and filmed the attack.

Ban orders

The police imposed prohibitory orders in the city under Section 144 of Cr.PC. as a preventive measure, but it was seen by groups such as the Democratic Youth Federation of India as an attempt to scuttle the voices protest.

The All-College Students’ Union called for a college bandh in Mangalore taluk on Monday, condemning Saturday’s attack saying it had created an atmosphere of fear among students which could affect their future adversely.

State women’s Commission Chairperson C. Manjula said in Bangalore that she had sought a report on the incident from the Deputy Director of Women and Child Development.

The officer had been asked to speak to the victims and include their version in the report.

They want to shoot the messenger:

Mangalore journalist

Sudipto Mondal

Saturday night’s vigilante attack on a group of young girls and boys, and which was caught on tape by a television crew, has revived the debate about what journalists are supposed to do in situations like this. The Mangalore police have charged Naveen Soorinje, a reporter, and Shiva Kumar, camera person, as well as the attackers under the same sections of the Indian Penal Code and Unlawful Activities Prevention Act. Seeking to put his side of the story in the public domain Mr. Soorinje spoke to The Hindu.

Q: Why did you not inform the police?

A: I called the [jurisdictional] police inspector and he did not pick his calls. I called a reporter from another channel and asked him to call the police. That reporter too could not get through to the police inspector.

But the police allege that you made that call after the attack, and after you had shot the scenes.

That is not true; my phone records are proof.

It is being alleged that the attackers informed you in advance.

I was informed by a mechanic who has a shop in the same area. Again, my phone records should be enough to prove this.

Why did you not inform the Police Commissioner?

He was not in Mangalore. His flight landed in the city around about the time the attack was taking place.

The Home Minister has alleged that you or your cameraman was holding up a girl’s face for the camera.

That is not true to the best of my knowledge. The Home Minister might have confused the attackers with us.

Why did you not help the girls?

There were at least 70 attackers from the Hindu Jagarana Vedike; we were just two. If you watch the video, there is a male voice asking the attackers to spare the girls. That voice was mine. That is all I could do at the time.

What if one of the victims was your relative? Would you still have done nothing?

Firstly, that is not a fair question. And there have been cases where women have been molested and humiliated by vigilante groups in front of their families in Mangalore. The fathers, brothers and lovers were forced to watch helplessly.

There are some who say that you were more interested in TRP ratings than helping the girls.

If I was interested in TRPs, I would not have passed on the exclusive video footage to every Kannada, Hindi and English channel in the country. I wanted to help the girls, but more importantly I wanted the world to see what happens here almost every day and how the police deal with such crimes.

How do the police deal with such crimes?

If you see Saturday night’s footage, you will notice that even after the police arrived on the spot, no action was taken against the attackers. They continued to attack the girls as the police were trying to take them to safety and the police did not retaliate. If I had not shot the entire shocking episode, no action would have been taken against the vigilantes. What few people see is that there has been a rise in such incidents in Dakshina Kannada over the last few months. Every time the police has booked cases of obscenity against the victims and allowed the vigilantes to walk free. If the police were doing their job, these groups would not have dared to carry out such attacks. And now that we have exposed the administration’s failing, they want to shoot the messenger.

The attackers seemed to be encouraged by the fact that you were shooting the scene.

What we have shown is only some of the more decent shots. What we saw through own eyes and chose not to shoot, was nothing short of rape.

There are some who say that the victims were further shamed by the filming.

Why should they be ashamed? They did nothing wrong. They were not doing the molesting and beating.

How do you respond to the police filing a case against you and your cameraman?

I have no problem with the fact that they have booked us. But I am happy that our visuals helped identify eight of the people they have arrested.

 

Archives

Kractivism-Gonaimate Videos

Protest to Arrest

Faking Democracy- Free Irom Sharmila Now

Faking Democracy- Repression Anti- Nuke activists

JAPA- MUSICAL ACTIVISM

Kamayaninumerouno – Youtube Channel

UID-UNIQUE ?

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 6,233 other followers

Top Rated

Blog Stats

  • 1,763,442 hits

Archives

October 2019
M T W T F S S
« Jun    
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
%d bloggers like this: