PUNE, June 4, 2013
Staff Reporter, The Hindu
Konkan Bachao Samiti says this meet was hidden from the locals to avoid furore
Even as officials of the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) and Nuclear Power Corporation of India (NPCIL) left for France for a crucial meeting between European investors and French conglomerate Areva to gather funds for the 9900-MW Jaitapur nuclear power plant, farmers and fishermen of the Jaitapur have written to the potential investors expressing their opposition to the project.
According to sources, a team of senior officers of both the DAE and the NPCIL will attend a meeting in France on June 5 and 6.
According to members of the Konkan Bachao Samiti, this meeting was kept hidden from the local population, to avoid furore and further protests.
The letter by the Konkan Bachao Samiti states, “NPCIL and government of India officials are making wrong representations, concealing the ground information, twisting and distorting the facts and are trying their level best to delude you [investors] , in order to make you agreeable and secure loan finance for this mega disaster project.”
Rajendra Phaterpekar of the Samiti stated that the exact cost of the project was still not made public, adding to the government’s non-transparent attitude.
According to earlier projections, the cost of the project was to be Rs. 1,20,000 crore, which is alleged to have increased three-fold over the last two years, he said.
“We, the fishermen and farmers of Jaitapur and adjoining areas, want to make it very very clear that our diehard opposition to the proposed nuclear power project is total, fierce and will not be subdued by any means or ways possible,” the letter says.
Added to this, the villagers of Jaitapur will stage a protest on July 4 to register their opposition, yet again.
- PRESS RELEASE- Supreme Court Verdict on Koodankulam: A Travesty of Justice (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- DAE 1972 Chakravarty Report states Jaitapur has potential sources of Earthquake (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India – Centre’s report indicates Nuclear plant not safe for Jaitapur (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Koodankulam’s Environmental Impacts: An open letter to Jayanti Natarajan (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Mithivirdi project: Charges fly, MoEF seeks NPCIL reply (kractivist.wordpress.com)