By E-mail including to the media
Maj Gen S.G.Vombatkere (Retd) 475, 7th Main Road
Vijayanagar 1st Stage
Tel:0821-2515187 April 19, 2013
1. According to media reports concerning the forthcoming elections in Karnataka, voters who do not present their Elector’s Photo Identity Card (EPIC) at Polling Booths, may use their Aadhaar card as identification for casting their votes. This is apparently a change in policy at the level of the Election Commission of India (ECI).
2. The ECI are requested to note that the instructions printed on the Aadhaar card read as follows:
# Aadhaar is proof of identity, not of citizenship. # To establish identity, authenticate on-line.
3. These instructions read together, indicate that the Aadhaar card bearer’s identity can only be established when it is authenticated on-line by verification of the biometric parameters of fingerprints and iris scans from UIDAI’s records. Therefore, for this purpose, the ECI would need to arrange for and ensure operation of fingerprint detection and iris scan devices connected on-line to UIDAI’s Central ID Data Repository at every polling booth (with standby power supply), for on-line authentication of identity of voters who do not possess the EPIC.
4. If however the Aadhaar card is proposed to be accepted at the polling booth as identification without on-line authentication, then the ECI may consider accepting other documents like Ration Card, Passport or Motor Vehicle Driving Licence, all of which contain as much information as an Aadhaar card, for a Polling Booth Officer to identify the voter. Notwithstanding, the use of Aadhaar card without on-line authentication of identity at polling booths would be misuse of the Aadhaar system and perversion of the election process, since Aadhaar is not proof of citizenship, as stated on the Aadhaar card itself.
5. The ECI are requested to note that waiver of the necessity for EPIC for voting in the May 2013 Karnataka Assembly elections may result in similar waiver being demanded for other elections in the future, thus effectively making the EPIC itself redundant.
6. In view of the foregoing, the ECI are urgently requested to make public announcement to state whether or not facilities for Aadhaar on-line authentication will be provided at polling booths for the May 2013 Karnataka Assembly elections.
Maj Gen S.G.Vombatkere (Retd)
The Chief Electoral Officer of Karnataka <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Nirvachana Nilaya, Maharani’s College Circle <email@example.com>
- Plea against Aadhaar, Delhi HC asks govt to respond #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Maharashtra loses data of 3 lakh #UID cards #Aadhaar #WTFnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Aadhaar not good for ID #UID #biometrics (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Link Aadhaar number with bank account or lose LPG subsidy #UID #WTFnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #Aadhaar slips up, letters come with dog, tree photos #UID #WTFnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Everybody wants an Aadhaar card. But why? #UID #mustread (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Don’t worry, #Aadhaar is not mandatory for now #UID #MUSTSHARE (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- Aadhaar For Birth, Marriage And Death #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- Do you know why #Aadhaar – #UID is NOT compulsory #mustread (kractivist.wordpress.com)