Suspected Maoists arrested in Mavelikkara
TNN | Dec 30, 2012, 05.46 AM IST
Gopal is an activist of the Committee for the Protection of Civil Liberties, a human rights organization in Tamil Nadu.
Police had initially picked up seven persons, but released two minors, identified as the daughters of Roopesh, the former state secretary of CPI (Maoist).
The arrests were made under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act and for unlawful assembly, conspiracy and kidnapping, police said. A laptop and five mobile phones were seized from the arrested persons.
Roopesh and his wife Shyna have been in the list of wanted Maoists, after they were accused of harbouring Malla Raji Reddy, the politburo member of the CPI (Maoist), arrested by the Andhra Pradesh police from Angamali in December 2007.
Police had issued a lookout circular against Roopesh following suspicion that he had played a role to sabotage a train in Nilambur in 2010.
Meanwhile, Adv P A Pouran, general secretary of the Peoples Union for Civil Liberties, said the arrested were discussing issues related to the education sector. “Police have denied even the basic right to assemble and discuss issues,” he said.
- Firing at Maoist camp: #NHRC seeks reply from #Chhattisgarh govt (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Dr Prakash Amte carried out vasectomies on Maoists in Gadchiroli (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #SoniSori doesn’t need counselling #Vaw #custodialrape #WTFnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- (UAPA) Draconian Law against liberty-quietly amended #Loksabha (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- A Conversation With: Human Rights Activist Binayak Sen (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- Why is Aparna Marandi in jail? (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- FREE APARNA MARANDI , Human Rights Violation by Jharkhand Police (kractivist.wordpress.com)