BHUBANESWAR, June 13, 2013
Special Correspondent, The Hindu
A group of Dongaria and Kutia Kondh leaders from Niyamgiri area on Wednesday sought the intervention of Governor S.C. Jamir to save them from the ‘mischief’ that the ST and SC Department of the State was playing to help out Vedanta by diluting the apex court’s order.
Stating that they had been betrayed by the ST and SC Department, Kumuti Majhi and Lada Sikaka of Niyamgiri Surakhya Samiti urged the Governor that as the custodian of rights of all tribal communities in the State he should intervene and instruct the Naveen Patnaik government to quash the State ST and SC department’s order to conduct gram sabhas only in 12 villages.
The tribal leaders further requested the Governor to direct the State government to conduct gram sabhas in all the villages in Niyamgiri to ascertain claims and rights of their communities.
The government should be instructed to stop fear and intimidation tactics used by armed security forces in Niyamgiri hills to help Vedanta, which was unethical and undemocratic, they said. They further demanded that the State government should create a positive atmosphere so that their people will come out happily and participate in gram sabhas of all the villages and express free and frank views regarding their rights and claims.
The tribal leaders also urged the Governor to instruct the State government to stop all Vedanta activities in the area till the gram sabhas were conducted in a fair way in all the villages of Niyamgiri.
They told the Governor that the Niyamgiri mountain and hillocks close to their villages were sacred, as they were considered as the abode of their god, the Niyamraja. They were shocked when some people, without any knowledge, were talking to them about what constituted Niyamraja, they said. They said that the Niyamgiri mountain region and the hillocks were sacred and the centre of their identity and culture.
‘Instruct the government to quash the State ST and SC department’s order to conduct gram sabhas only in 12 villages’
- Odisha Government diluting apex court order: petitioner #Niyamgiri #Vedanta (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Bauxite mining: Tribal ministry objects to Odisha’s move against SC order (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Rallying cry: Dongria stand firm against Vedanta mine (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Odisha Govt tries every trick in the book with SC Niyamgiri verdict #mustshare (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Odisha pays scant heed to tribal ministry’s directions on mining for Vedanta (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Anti-Vedanta body to march near Niyamgiri (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Activist alleges Odisha govt trying to manipulate SC order on bauxite mining (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India – Tribal affairs ministry `turning tables’ on SC order on Niyamgiri mining rights #WTFnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)