Express news service : Chandigarh, Tue Jan 15 2013, 02:04 hrs
On a petition filed against Aadhaar cards, the Punjab and Haryana High Court on Monday issued notices to the centre and UT Administration.
A petition filed by Sanjiv Pandey came up for hearing before a Division Bench comprising Chief Justice Arjan Kumar Sikri and Justice Rakesh Kumar Jain. The bench has issued notices for March 4.
The petitioner has sought quashing of executive order of Deputy Commissioner, UT Administration dated December 5, 2012, which has made the UID card mandatory for registration of vehicles and grant of learner/ regular driving license.
The petitioner’s counsel Gagan Geet Kaur submitted that UID cards are unconstitutional and have no legal sanctity as the National Identification Authority of India Bill – 2010 is pending in Parliament.
Kaur further pleaded before the bench that application form for the registration of UID cards clearly states that Aadhar enrollment is free and voluntary and that there is no grounds for the government to be forcing the public to get enrollment by making its requirement in essential public services.
The court was also informed that unfortunately, UID cards are given too much importance than the other proofs of identity and residence such as voter card and passport which are issued by Election Commission of India and the Ministry of Foreign respectively.
- Aadhaar Card not mandatory for Income Certificate for EWS school admissions #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- UID/Aadhaar, a medicine possibly worse than the disease #mustshare (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Supreme Court notice to govt on PIL over Aadhar #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- #Aadhaar Roundup: Ration Cards, Govt Salaries, Passport, Direct Cash Transfer & More #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Government to implement Aadhaar in 43 districts from January 1, 2013 #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #Kerala to track school kids with #Aadhaar card , seriously #WTFnews #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Glitches in Aadhaar cards enrolment- and pandora’s box opens :-P #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Aadhaar-obsessed Indian Government should check ground reality #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)