Protesters at the proposed site for a nuclear plant at Jaitapur sent an e-mail to the three main bankers — BNP Paribas, Societe Generale and Credit Agricole in France — on Tuesday, requesting the CEOs not to fund the project.
They have intensified their cause to save the environment from effects of radioactivity.
Indian government officials are set to meet French and other European investors over the week in Paris to discuss funding opportunities for the nuclear project.
Sources said about 1,000 people gathered around the proposed nuclear site on Tuesday at Jaitapur after learning that officials were going to negotiate the financial aspect of the proposed project with with French as well as other European bankers.
“They were riled by the news that Nuclear Power Corporation of India (NPCIL) and Department of Atomic Energy officials were going to Paris to discuss financing of the project with French bankers. Slogans were raised against NPCIL, Areva and the French bankers,” a source told dna.
Amjad Borkar, an activist from the fishermen’s community, said: “The project will destroy marine life and make fishermen destitute.”
The e-mail to the bankers stated: “NPCIL and the Government of India officials are making wrong representations, concealing the ground information and distorting the facts and are trying their best to convince you to finance the mega project.”
Activists Premanand Tevedkar and Mansoor Solkar said that despite an increase in compensation, the farmers were not going to give up their land. “Protesters said they would lay down their lives but not give up their land and right to livelihood,” he added.
The e-mail was sent by the villagers, farmers and fisherfolk of Jaitapur, Madban, Sakhari Nate, Mithgavane, Niveli, Karel and all the surrounding villages situated near the site.
“We will never allow anybody to contaminate our ancestral land and sea, marine as well as land of the Konkan coast with nuclear energy. It’s our right to life and livelihood and we will not give these up at any cost,” said the e-mail to the bankers.
- Anti-Areva Protest: Letter to French and European Bankers from Fishermen and Farmers of Jaitapur (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Jaitapur villagers oppose investors’ meeting, hidden from Locals (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Paris – Secret meeting for Jaitapur Reactors continues despite protests in India #WTFnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- DAE 1972 Chakravarty Report states Jaitapur has potential sources of Earthquake (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- PRESS RELEASE- Supreme Court Verdict on Koodankulam: A Travesty of Justice (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Koodankulam’s Environmental Impacts: An open letter to Jayanti Natarajan (kractivist.wordpress.com)