Arunav Sinha, TNN | May 21, 2013, 06.26 AM IST
LUCKNOW: Conceived with the idea to provide an identity to every Indian, the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) came into existence in 2009. However, four years down the line, the authority’s website itself has become a victim of duplication, and presents an unclear picture to the public.
What’s more interesting is the fact that the UIDAI’s website gives two different sets of data pertaining to Aadhaar enrolment progress for Congress stronghold of Rae Bareli, one of the 78 districts identified for roll out of Direct Benefit Transfer scheme. Apart from Rae Bareli, the hyperlink giving details of Aadhaar enrolment progress in the state (https://portal.uidai.gov.in/uidwebportal/dashboard.do?st=Uttar%20Pradesh) also mentions dual data for Baghpat, Bulandshahr, Maharajganj, and Sant Ravidas Nagar.
TOI tried to contact UIDAI director general VS Madan but he was unavailable for comment. Thereafter, when this correspondent contacted the deputy director general media, the call was routed to a deputy director ranked official who acknowledged the anomaly, but refused to comment on the point of duplication.
On May 20, at 4.12 pm, Aadhaar enrolment progress of Rae Bareli district was 1,43,877 and that of Raebareli was 15,870. On further tehsil-wise classification, the figures were 63,915 and 12,802 respectively. Another district, where the difference between two sets of Aadhaar enrolment progress data is huge is Baghpat. According to one figure, Baghpat’s Aadhaar enrolment progress was 23,878, while another figure cites it as 757 (on May 19). Similarly, Sant Ravidas Nagar too has different sets of figures – 17,663 and 14,131. Maharajganj, the district which borders Nepal, also boasts of dual identity as far as Aadhaar enrolment progress is concerned. One set of data puts the number at 9,929 (Maharajganj), other puts the same number at 4,573 (Mahrajganj). The western UP district of Bulandshahr, too, has distinct set of Aadhaar enrolment progress. According to one set, the current Aadhaar enrolment progress of Bulandshahar is 53,190; whereas for Bulanshahr, it is 6,122.
Even the daily count of total Aadhaar generated, enrolment applications rejected have two different figures. On May 19, Aadhaar generated for Bara Banki and Barabanki was 76 and 2 respectively, while for Bulandshahar, it was 11 and 58 for Bulandshahr.
Similarly, for Rae Bareli, Aadhaar generation was 67, and it was 10 for Raebareli. Maharajganj too had two sets of Aadhaar generation figures. While, one set put the daily Aadhaar generated figures at 207 (Maharajganj), the other put the same numbers at 3 (Mahrajganj). Apart from these districts, Sant Ravidas Nagar and Sant Ravidas Nagar Bhadohi, too, had different figures of 31 and 5 respectively. However, on May 20, the anomaly pertaining to Barabanki was removed.
- Biometrics programs for the developing world could put data in the wrong hands #Aadhaar #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Andhra Pradesh -Biometric information of 14 lakh #Aadhaar applicants goes missing #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Maharashtra loses data of 3 lakh #UID cards #Aadhaar #WTFnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Officials find discrepancy in the figures of Aadhaar card generation #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Centre likely to skip Aadhaar for Direct Benefit Transfer? #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India – #Aadhaar private ownership of UID data – Part II (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Don’t worry, #Aadhaar is not mandatory for now #UID #MUSTSHARE (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Public clamouring for Aadhaar cards enrolled several months ago #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #India- Do you know why #Aadhaar – #UID is NOT compulsory #mustread (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Link Aadhaar number with bank account or lose LPG subsidy #UID #WTFnews (kractivist.wordpress.com)