SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT, tHE hINDU,
NEW DELHI, January 8, 2013
The Delhi Revenue Secretary and Divisional Commissioner on Monday issued orders to keep in abeyance till further instructions the requirement of Aadhaar Card for issuing Income Certificates to economically weaker section (EWS) students for admission to the forthcoming academic session.
The directions were issued by the official following a meeting with Delhi Education Minister Kiran Walia who said students and applicants belonging to economically weaker categories who wanted to get admission under their quota needed to get an Income Certificate and for that an Aadhaar Card was essential. The Minister said this mandatory requirement of Aadhaar Card was causing a lot of trouble to admission seekers who were running against time to apply in the schools.
Stating that hundreds of applicants had approached her seeking relief, Prof. Walia said keeping in mind the problems being faced by the students and their parents, it was essential to do away with the mandatory requirement. She thus asked the Revenue Secretary to take back the earlier order.
Thereafter, the Revenue Secretary issued an order keeping in abeyance the mandatory requirement to have an Aadhaar Card for procuring the Income Certificate. The order has been issued to all the Deputy Commissioners, Sub Divisional Magistrates and Tehsildars and has come into force with immediate effect.
- Glitches in Aadhaar cards enrolment- and pandora’s box opens #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Aadhaar-NPR duplication: A pain, and expensive too (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- #Kerala to track school kids with #Aadhaar card , seriously #WTFnews #UID (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- Of Aadhaar/UID , cash transfers and red tape (kractivist.wordpress.com)
- UIDAI cancels 3.84 lakh fake #Aadhaar numbers #UID #facepalm (kractivist.wordpress.com)